GENEVA (AFP) - the new coronavirus pandemic is truly "accelerating", the sector fitness agency warned Monday, but said it turned into nevertheless feasible to exchange its trajectory by occurring the attack.

The remarks got here as the quantity of deaths soared past 15,000, with more than 341,000 humans inflamed international, in step with a tally compiled by using AFP from professional resources.

"The pandemic is accelerating," WHO leader Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus told a virtual information convention.

.

He said it took 67 days from the beginning of the outbreak in China in December for the virus to infect the first one hundred,000 humans global.

In contrast, it took 11 days for the second one 100,000 cases and simply 4 days for the 0.33 a hundred,000 cases, he stated.

The quantity of officially recorded instances is believed to symbolize simplest a fragment of the authentic variety of infections, with many countries simplest testing the most excessive cases in want of hospitalisation.

"We are not helpless bystanders. We are able to alternate the trajectory of this pandemic," Tedros stated.

 

Messi message 

Joined through FIFA president Gianni Infantino, Tedros compared the combat against COVID-19 to football processes.

"you can t win a football recreation simplest through protecting. You have to assault as nicely," Tedros stated.

physical distancing may want to purchase time by using slowing down the unfold, "but they're defensive measures so that it will not assist us to win," he warned.

"To win, we want to assault the virus with competitive and targeted methods," he said, reiterating a name for "testing every suspected case, isolating and worrying for each confirmed case and tracing and quarantining each near touch."

Tedros and Infantino launched a joint marketing campaign geared toward spreading the message of the way to shield against infection so as to "kick out coronavirus".

In a social media video clip, football stars from around the world spelled out 5 simple steps to take on "hands, elbow, face, distance and feel."

Barcelona and Argentina icon Lionel Messi stated: "on your face, avoid touching your eyes, your nose and your mouth. This can prevent the virus from entering your body."

Samuel Eto o, one among Africa s finest strikers, added: "in case you experience sick, live home."

 

 fake hopes ? 

in spite of wanting to move at the assault, the WHO chief acknowledged that some of countries have been suffering to take more competitive measures due to a lack of assets and get right of entry to to tests.

Tedros praised the first-rate power being placed into research and development to find a vaccine and of medication to treat COVID-19.

but he said that "there is currently no treatment that has been proven to be powerful towards COVID-19," and warned towards the use of medicine not shown to paintings against the ailment.

"using untested drugs without the proper proof ought to increase fake wish or even do greater harm than excellent," he stated.

among different things, nations are searching at the usage of antimalarial drugs as a treatment against the new coronavirus.

Tedros said there had been "alarming" reviews of massive numbers of infections among health workers.

protecting them from the virus need to be a pinnacle priority because in any other case "many human beings will die due to the fact the medical examiner who should have stored their lives is ill," he stated.

 

Tokyo 2020  threat recommendation  

Tedros stated 10 million people had so far signed as much as the WHO s English-language health alert messaging provider on WhatsApp, with Arabic, French and Spanish variations coming this week.

He said he might be asking G20 leaders in the coming days to work collectively higher to "fight this pandemic within the most powerful phrases".

meanwhile after jap prime Minister Shinzo Abe stated it "may additionally turn out to be inevitable" that the Tokyo 2020 Olympics, scheduled from July 24, are postponed, the WHO stated it was offering risk advice to the global Olympic Committee (IOC) and the japanese authorities.

"I accept as true with a decision will be made very quickly concerning the future of the games," said WHO emergencies director Michael Ryan.

"we've got every self assurance that the japanese government and the IOC will not proceed with any video games must there be risks to athletes or spectators."