- On Friday, the Muslim day of prayer, a shooter entered the Al Noor Mosque and opened hearth with multiple weapons, killing forty one people.
- shortly after, a shooter or shooters additionally opened fireplace on the close by Linwood Mosque, killing 8 others.
- quickly later on a livestream video of the assault unfold round the world thru social media, as fb and Twitter worked to dispose of the video from their systems.
- Police arrested 4 people inside the attacks' instantaneous aftermath. One turned into in the end launched, one has been charged with homicide, and two stay in custody.
- Police additionally stated they'd determined explosive gadgets at one mosque, which they secured and detonated.
- They warned human beings not to go everywhere close to mosques in the us of a.
Suspect information emerge
- Brenton Tarrant, the 28-yr-old suspect, has been charged with murder.
- before the assaults, Tarrant published a 74-page manifesto on social media. In it, he identified himself as a white supremacist and a fascist and stated he wanted to avenge assaults in Europe perpetrated with the aid of Muslims.
- Tarrant had legally bought the guns used in the assault, which blanketed semi-computerized rifles.
- He had traveled around the sector and lived sporadically in Dunedin, a town outdoor of Christchurch, New Zealand prime Minister Jacinda Ardern said at a press conference.
- The Australian authorities has showed the suspect is an Australian citizen.
- Australian police stated the suspect had only been regarded to them for "minor visitors matters," and he had now not been on the intelligence network's radar.
high Minister Jacinda Ardern said the shootings "can now only be described as a terrorist attack" and called it one of latest Zealand's "darkest days." She also vowed to reform the us of a's comfy gun laws.
German Chancellor Angela Merkel said the shootings had been no longer best an attack on Muslims, but also on New Zealand's tolerant society: "We percentage these values with New Zealand and we share their horror and condemnation of this assault."
both Pakistani prime Minister Imran Khan and Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan condemned the assaults and referred to growing Islamophobia round the world.
Condolences and condemnation had been expressed by Catholic chief Pope Francis, european commission President Jean-Claude Juncker, British prime Minister Theresa can also and the UN security Council, among others.
New Zealand: Open to immigrants
The sufferers in the attack have been of many unique nationalities, with humans from Saudi Arabia, Jordan, Malaysia, Pakistan and Turkey many of the lacking, injured or useless.
Former DW correspondent Claire Richardson tweeted that a memorial paying tribute to the victims and expressing unity with Muslim groups had sprung up within the Christchurch Botanic Gardens.
Gun legal guidelines
Mass shootings are rare in New Zealand, a rustic of around five million humans, although there are an estimated 1.5 million weapons in the united states, or one for each third person.
New Zealand tightened its gun laws to restriction get entry to to semi-automatic guns in 1992. But, every body over 16 can apply for a firearms license, which lasts for 10 years after a historical past test and of entirety of a safety direction. Most weapons do no longer require registration.
cmb/cmk (AFP, AP, Reuters)